Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

by Trudy ~ Veggie num num on July 15, 2011

Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

This lasagna recipe is something I promised Cam I’d try and recreate for a couple of weeks now. We recently had a lovely lunch here on the mountain at the great little deli/restaurant ‘The Kitchen Table’ where we enjoyed the vegetarian antipasto platter and a super tasty fresh pumpkin lasagna. Cam enjoying pumpkin is still something of a rarity. So an opportunity to create a pumpkin recipe we could both heartily enjoy was just too tempting :)

As I was preparing this specially for Cam I decided to go with a non-vegan version using homemade egg pasta and ricotta cheese. You could easily switch this to a completely vegan recipe by substituting in a semolina pasta or simply pre-cook some dried lasagna sheets. In place of ricotta try this delicious dairy-free creamy white sauce recipe I used for the classic lasagna instead.

The pumpkin is roasted in the oven with thyme, cumin and paprika before marinating in lemon juice to give it a truly delicious flavor. Layered with fresh homemade pasta, baby spinach and almonds this vegetarian lasagna recipe is really, really gooooooood!!

I had a little fun hand rolling my homemade pasta with a rolling pin, still no pasta machine!! And as I suffer from a lack of patience and somewhat puny arm muscles the pasta was a little thicker than I had planned. Still with enough pre-cooking time it actually turned out beautifully!!

The almonds add lovely crunch and the pumpkin really shines as the star of the dish. To save time simply use fresh store brought lasagna sheets, found in the cold section of your supermarket or simply pre-cook dried lasagna sheets instead.

Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

Homemade Egg Pasta

if making the pasta you can actually do this step while your pumpkin is marinating

Makes 6-8 lasagna sheets

• 200g (7 oz) plain unbleached flour
  • 2 certified free-range eggs
  • 1-2 tsp olive oil

Sift the flour onto a dry and clean work surface forming a mound. Make a well in the center and carefully pour the eggs into the well and drizzle the olive oil around the outside.

Using your finger tips begin to work the eggs into the flour forming a dough like consistency. Knead the pasta for about 8 minutes until smooth.

Divide the pasta into two equal portions and roll into balls. Let the pasta rest under a damp tea-towel for 10 minutes.

Either using a rolling pin on a lightly floured work surface or using a pasta machine roll out the two balls of pasta to approximately 1-2 mm (0.08 inches) thick. Hang the rolled pasta (I used a baking rack balanced between two tall Tupperware containers) out to air for about 10 minutes until just dry enough not to stick together but not too dry it begins to crack.

Cut the dried pasta into approximately 15cm x 8cm sheets and keep layered in a cool dry place until you are ready to cook them.

Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna
Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

Preparation time: 1 hour 20 mins
Serves 8

• prepared lasagna sheets or store brought fresh or dried lasagna sheets
  • 1 kg (2 lb) piece of pumpkin, skinned and sliced into 1cm thick slices
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1 tbs cumin seeds
  • ½ tbs paprika
  • small bunch of fresh thyme
  • 1 lemon, juice only
  • 1 cup raw almonds, finely chopped
  • 500g (1 lb) ricotta cheese (for a vegan version try the dairy-free white sauce recipe instead)
  • 100g (3½ oz) baby spinach, washed and dried
  • 2 cups pureed fresh tomatoes (use 1 tin of crushed tomatoes if you prefer)

Pre-heat the oven to 200°C/392°F

Toss the pumpkin slices with the olive oil, cumin seeds, paprika and thyme until the pumpkin is well coated. Season with ground sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and transfer to a large roasting tray.

Roast the pumpkin in the hot oven for 15 minutes until soft and golden.

Transfer the roasted pumpkin and all the pan juices to a shallow bowl and drizzle over the lemon juice. Place in the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes.

When you are ready to assemble the lasagna cook the prepared or store brought lasagna sheets in batches in plenty or rapidly boiling water until al-dente (tender) but not overcooked.

Have the oven at 180°C/356°F

In a deep pie or lasagna dish spoon in a layer of ricotta cheese or white sauce, top with a layer of baby spinach and then a layer of the roasted pumpkin. Sprinkle over some almonds and then top with cooked lasagna sheets.

Top with a couple of spoonfuls of the pureed tomatoes, more ricotta, baby spinach and pumpkin finishing with the almonds. Top with another layer of cooked pasta and repeat finishing with the layer of almonds.

Dollop on the remainder of the ricotta or white sauce and place in the oven to cook for 35-40 minutes until bubbling and golden on top.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before cutting into wedges. Serve accompanied with a crisp salad or a side of veg if you prefer.

A really lovely vegetarian meal perfect for entertaining or a delicious family dinner.

Pumpkin & Spinach Lasagna

Erin @ she cooks, she gardens July 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

Omnomnom

Jennifer (Delicieux) July 15, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Oh my god this looks AMAZING!!!! I LOVE pumpkin and lasagne is delicious, but not something I indulge in often. This looks SO full of delicious flavours and I love the addition of nuts. I will definitely be making this one!

Jasmine July 15, 2011 at 6:24 pm

Yummmm! This looks fabulous! Perfect timing too as I have finally attempted home made pasta for the first time with great success… ok, well my ravioli didn’t look too crash hot but they tasted fantastic!

Will def attempt using your recipe as this lasagne looks sooo good!

Sara July 16, 2011 at 12:39 am

The vegan version of this will probably be my first meal of fall. I cannot wait to try this.

Heidi @ Food Doodles July 16, 2011 at 1:14 am

Oh my, does that ever look delicious. I love that you made your own pasta for it, and the ricotta and pumpkin looks great. I love that you roasted the pumpkin separately, it even looks yummy on it’s own :)

Teniesha @ Vegan on the Go-Go July 16, 2011 at 5:56 am

This looks amazing! I agree with Sara–I will making this meal as soon as autumn arrives! :D

chow vegan July 17, 2011 at 5:43 am

Love the pumpkin layer in the lasagna, definitely a dish to try in the fall! :-)

connie July 18, 2011 at 4:57 am

wow, lovely! I’m saving this idea for the fall… when turning on my oven becomes reasonable again.

Alana July 18, 2011 at 11:32 am

Oh wow! That looks incredible! I think I’ve found what I’ll be making for dinner tonight :)

Audrey Taylor July 18, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Ooooh yum a dum a ding dong! Bet this would be nice with a butternut squash and sage filling too – totally putting this on my list of things to try! Thanks! :)

Living, Learning, Eating July 19, 2011 at 8:12 am

WOW.

And I don’t even like lasagna. :)

Richa July 19, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This one looks like a keeper. havent tried pumkin in lasagna before. and the pictures and description are calling out to me! i;ve found so many recipes to bookmark on your space!

Richa @ http://hobbyandmore.blogspot.com/

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 21, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Oh my gosh. YUMMY! I love that you used almonds!

sally July 23, 2011 at 7:49 am

This dish certainly does look like it is made up of layers of yum! Though I love all of the summer produce we have around here, I am looking forward to pumpkin season!

Erin @ she cooks, she gardens July 26, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Hey, just wanted to say I made this for dinner tonight and it was spectacular! Marinating the pumpkin in lemon juice = stroke of genius! :)

Trudy ~ Veggie num num July 27, 2011 at 11:09 am

Hello everyone and thanks for all the great comments :) super happy to have you here at Veggie num num and glad you’re loving this recipe!!

corrie August 1, 2011 at 1:26 pm

oh wow that looks amazing! we love lasagne and only do vegie lasagne here so will have to give it a go. looks so fresh and delicious!

love your blog btw. Just came here via assemblage and adding you to my blogroll now!

Aidan August 4, 2011 at 4:48 am

When roasting the pumpkin you say “hot oven” what degree would you say to use?

Aidan August 4, 2011 at 7:23 am

Nevermind. I didn’t read carefully enough. I see it now. xD

Aidan August 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

I made this tonight with butternut squash instead of pumpkin (because pumpkin isn’t in season here), some lemon thyme and fresh dill and it was amazing. :) Thank you for the recipe. I can’t wait to read more from you!

Britt August 18, 2011 at 3:08 am

I made this last week using butternut squash and the vegan white sauce from your classic lasagna recipe and it was amazing!…loved the perfect blend of sweet and savory!..Next time I will be making a bigger batch as I think it even tasted better the second day..

Ms.Z. September 10, 2011 at 3:05 am

I made this yesterday (minus homemade pasta) and it was WOW, absolutely amazing. I love the taste of marinated pumpkin and all the ingredients worked so well together. Thank so much for the recipe!

T October 15, 2011 at 7:56 am

My family and I cooked this for my Birthday dinner, and it turned out absolutely incredible! I made the pasta from scratch using whole grain flour, also without a pasta machine, and it turned out amazing. The local organic store didn’t have ricotta, so I used (half as much!) creme fraiche, which gave it incredible flavour and texture. Can’t wait to try this again with ricotta. Brilliant recipe, love the pumpkin marinade. Thanks Trudy!

Jen February 23, 2012 at 5:15 pm

thanks doll. My first try at a pumpkin spinach lasagne sans lentils et al. It looks pretty epic. I loved the idea of pre cooking the pumpkin with the spices and lemon

Holly March 20, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I made this tonight, and due to time constraints didn’t marinate the cooked pumpkin, but I still squeezed the lemon over it. Also, I didn’t add the nuts but grated a bit of cheese on top for crunch. It was delicious. I used fresh lasagna sheets from the supermarket and they worked perfectly. Thanks for the recipe! I keep sharing this blog all over the place. x

Casey Marie June 15, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I made this last night for a few friends and it was loved by all. As I was procrastinating from doing uni study, I went all out and made a yummy slow roasted tomato passata, lemon zest to the pumpkin whilst it was baking and added a bit of gorgonzola to the ricotta. SO GOOD!