Indian Spiced Pita Pizza

by Trudy ~ Veggie num num on October 11, 2010

Indian Spiced Pita Pizza

The weather is so beautiful at the moment, outside the sun is shining warm and bright and finally it seems the cold, snowy clouds of winter have lifted. We have been spending a lot of time out on the front porch, soaking up the warm sunshine and beautiful mountain views. So looking for a light snack we could enjoy with a quiet beer in the sun, I threw together some very simple pita pizzas and the result was way too tasty not to share!!

These simple, crispy and very tasty vegan pizzas are perfect for a light snack when entertaining or would make a nice light meal accompanied with salad. Layered with potato and kumara and sprinkled with coconut and sultanas (raisins) the result is a really tasty and spicy veggie pizza.

Large tortillas or pita bread are ideal as a simple and quick alternative to making pizza dough, and makes these little pizzas ideal for a light afternoon snack. Enjoy cut into crispy wedges and serve with mango chutney and/or non-dairy or dairy yoghurt. The perfect, quick and easy vegan recipe for entertaining or a lazy afternoon in the sun :)

Serves 4 { as a snack or light meal with salad }

• 2 large pita bread or tortillas
  • 2 good tsp Masala curry paste
  • 1 good tsp tomato paste
  • 1 red skinned potato, thinly sliced
  • ½ kumara (sweet potato), thinly sliced
  • 1 red chilli, finely diced (optional)
  • 2-3 cups baby spinach
  • 2 tbs shredded coconut
  • 2 tbs sultanas (raisins)
  • ½ tsp paprika
  • 1-2 tbs sunflower oil
  • 1 tbs fresh chopped coriander &/or mint

Indian Spiced Pita Pizza

Pre-heat the oven to 180°C/356°F

Combine the Masala curry paste with the tomato paste and spread evenly over the two pita or tortillas.

Layer each pita or tortilla with baby spinach, top with one layer of potato and kumara slices, scatter evenly with the diced chilli, coconut and sultanas and then sprinkle with the paprika and drizzle over the oil.

Place the prepared pizzas on an oven rack in the pre-heated oven and cook for 15-25 minutes. {The cooking time will depend on your own oven}

Watch the pizzas carefully and remove once the tortillas are nice and crispy, potato cooked and toppings golden.

Allow to cool slightly and sprinkle with fresh herbs before cutting into wedges to serve. Accompany with non-dairy or dairy yoghurt and chutney for a light snack. Or serve with salad for a light meal.

Indian Spiced Pita Pizza

Heather @ Whisk Flip Stir October 11, 2010 at 4:21 pm

Your photos are amazing. Everything looks (and surely tastes) so good!

delicieux October 11, 2010 at 5:25 pm

Mmmm this pizza looks so delicious!!! Great phtos. I love the idea of it being spiced, making it so different from your run of the mill pizza. I also like the sweetness that the raisins and coconut would add.

Sally - My Custard Pie October 11, 2010 at 5:41 pm

What a great combination of flavours. Once you start thinking about sweet potato on a pizza there are so many combinations aren’t there? I fancy sweet potato with spinach and goats cheese – with some black olives too. Thanks for getting the creative as well as the tastebuds going!

Jennifer @ Maple n Cornbread October 12, 2010 at 12:00 am

This is my kind of pizza! I love all the flavour combination going on here!

nadia October 12, 2010 at 5:04 am

they look fantastic!

Sophia October 12, 2010 at 6:28 am

I’ve seen so many recipes lately for pizzas! So far, I think yours must be the best! The other one I really like is Mexican Pizza. What do you think? Thanks again for sharing this delicious pizza recipe!

claire October 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

This looks SOOOO GOOD! I definitely feel like some indian needs to happen this week!

Caitlin October 12, 2010 at 7:27 am

These look amazing… Your pictures are wonderful, and what great flavors!

Paula October 12, 2010 at 9:08 am

I really like this recipe! looks so delicious!

Have a nice time!
Paula

Trudy (veggie num num) October 12, 2010 at 9:27 am

Whoot!! Thanks everyone for your lovely comments!! This simple recipe really delivers, as Cam put it so well, “some very tasty little morsels” :)

sara October 12, 2010 at 10:00 am

Wow, these pizzas look incredible! I definitely have to give this recipe a try. :)

Erica (Shona's mum) October 12, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I love your recipes Trudy. Often just when I’m wondering what to cook for dinner, a veggienumnum email pops up, and there’s my dinner idea. Thanks.

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets October 13, 2010 at 1:53 am

Must be something in the air! This is the second curry pizza-ish recipe I’ve seen today. And I can’t get enough of them! Indian food is definitely a fav of mine and I can’t think of a better way to mix up the usual dinner options.

ColleenEatsVeg October 13, 2010 at 1:57 am

Looks soooo yummy

Trudy (veggie num num) October 13, 2010 at 10:06 am

Thanks Sara :)

Hi Erica, thanks so much for your lovely comment :) makes me very happy and I hope you continue to enjoy Veggie num num’s recipes!!

Xiaolu, it is a little weird isn’t it! I love Indian food too and this is a super quick way to get a little spicy fix :)

Thank you Colleen!!

Ric October 14, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Great fusion of Mediterranean and Asian ingredients in this pizza recipe and also the Asian-style risotto in your last post! And yes, the weather certainly is gorgeous in NZ at the moment. Like you, we’ve been spending a lot of time on our deck with beer in hand soaking it all up.

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen October 14, 2010 at 7:33 pm

This is exactly my kind of food! My favorite resort when not in mood to go through making pizza dough is pita bread, topped with onions, tomatoes ( or whatever is around) with halloumi or Feta. Love that you made it Indian spiced. Coconut is something I would never think of adding to my pizzas! I’m not sure h0ow it would make me feel?

Thanks for posting :)

Trudy (veggie num num) October 15, 2010 at 1:31 pm

Hi Ric, glad to hear you’re enjoying the perfect NZ weather at the moment too :)

Kulsum, your simple pizzas sound delish! The coconut was a moment of sheer spontaneity!! I was simply thinking of ingredients I enjoy with curry and so, coconut ended up on the pizza, trust me if you like coconut the flavour works great with the spicy pizza ingredients!! Thanks for dropping in here at Veggie num num :)

Lisa November 4, 2010 at 10:59 am

Don’t know how you do it, but you make veggies look so yummy! No BS, this pizza has got to be the most mouth-watering thing I’ve ever laid my eyes on.

Trudy (veggie num num) November 5, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Gee thanks Lisa!! Veggies taste so yummy, it’s easy :) :) thanks for your great comment!!

B @ DesiGrub.com December 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

Masala sauce in pizza? what a great idea? Here were mine four pita pizzas at http://desigrub.com/2010/12/pita-pizzas/ – would be glad to hear your views on these four pita pizzas.

Holly January 15, 2011 at 12:53 pm

Looks delicious! Can’t wait to try it. I included it in my Vegan Pizza recipe post here: http://www.prudentplanet.org/2011/01/friday-recipe-roundup-vegan-pizza.html

Trudy (veggie num num) January 20, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Falafels on a pizza… B you’re a genius :) they look super tasty!! Thanks for your comment here on Veggie num num!!

Awesome round-up Holly and thanks so much for including a Veggie num num recipe :) Cheers!!

Jen June 3, 2011 at 11:43 am

This looks wonderful! I’ve never heard of curry paste, but I have lots of Indian spices. Any ideas for substitutions?

Trudy ~ Veggie num num June 5, 2011 at 9:58 am

Hi Jen, store brought curry paste is a quick alternative to making your own and should be available at any Asian grocery store if not at your supermarket. In saying that making your own is a wonderful idea and you will always get the best flavour from a fresh homemade curry paste. Try pounding together in a mortar & pestle or in a food processor fresh garlic, ginger, coriander, almonds, tomato paste, peanut oil and your favourite dried curry spices to make up a unique paste to your liking. If you google ‘curry paste recipe’ there are many recipes online if you need a little more inspiration… thanks for dropping in and I hope this is helpful :)

marla November 20, 2011 at 2:48 am

Love it!! Linking back to this today :)

Claudia February 17, 2012 at 4:18 am

This looks incredible! I’d like to use it as a main and include a side-dish, but keep within the theme of these Indian-y flavours. Any ideas about what I could do?
By the way, I cooked the haloumi and pumpkin skewers over a cous cous salad for dinner tonight and my family was so so impressed! Thank you veggie num num!