Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages w/ Soft Polenta & Pan Roasted Tomato Sauce

by Trudy ~ Veggie num num on October 15, 2010

Seitan Sausages w/ Soft Polenta & Pan Roasted Tomato Sauce

As a vegetarian I have never been keen on all the fake meats available from supermarkets, the overly processed concoctions made to look and taste like meat, kind of unpleasant and certainly not all that healthy. So when I saw this recipe for homemade vegetarian sausages posted by Joana on one of my favourite fellow veggie blogs, Veggies on the Counter, I was super excited.

Is it ok to admit that I have never in my life tried, let alone made seitan? I have certainly seen it in recipe books used as a meat alternative but, never until now, tried to make it in my own kitchen. And now that I have, boy there is no turning back!! Joana’s seitan sausage recipe is simple to follow and prepare and I am excited by the possibilities of adapting the homemade vegan sausages to a huge variety of flavour combinations.

For this vegan recipe Cam and I brainstormed and came up with a combination of some of our favourite ingredients, sun-dried tomatoes, red onion and pine nuts. The vegetarian sausages have a remarkable texture and with all the added ingredients, great flavour!! And I love that you know exactly what is in them, no hidden additives or preservatives.

You could serve these homemade seitan sausages however you like, with veggies, on a hotdog bun, a sandwich, in a stew or pasta or simply as we enjoyed them, with a serve of soft polenta, homemade tomato sauce and baby spinach {recipe below}.

Try your own added ingredients and make up sausages to suit you and your family’s taste. I have a feeling Cam and I will be making these often, thanks so much Joana for sharing this great recipe and please everyone check out here beautiful blog Veggies on the Counter.

Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages

Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages

Makes 4 large Sausages

for the sausages

• ¼ cup pine nuts, toasted
  • ½ a red onion
  • 1 red chilli
  • 75g (2½ oz) sundried tomatoes
  • ¼ cup olive oil
  • 1¼ cups vegetable stock
  • 2 tbs tomato paste
  • 250g (½ lb.) gluten flour (wheat gluten)
  • 1 tsp dried thyme
  • 1 tsp paprika
  • 4 x pieces of cheesecloth 30×30 cm each
  • 8 x pieces of kitchen twine

for the cooking broth

• 6 cups vegetable stock
  • 3 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
  • 2 bay leaves

By hand or in a food processor finely dice/mince the toasted pine nuts, red onion, chilli and sundried tomatoes.

Whisk the stock with the olive oil and tomato paste until smooth.

Combine the gluten flour with the dried thyme, paprika and processed pine nut/sundried tomato mixture in a large bowl. Slowly add the stock mixture to the dry mixture, combine until you have a smooth, elastic dough.

Divide the dough into four equal portions, roll out each portion to form a sausage, place each sausage onto a piece of cheesecloth, roll tightly and tie off each end securely with pieces of twine.

Bring the stock, garlic and bay leaves to boil in a deep-sided pan, add the sausages, side-by-side and turn down the heat, allow to gently simmer for 45-50 minutes until the sausages are firm to the touch.

Once the sausages are cooked remove from the pan and allow to cool before carefully removing the cheesecloth. {Sausages can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week in an air tight container with the cooking liquid}

Sausages can then be fried in a pan until golden and added to your favourite recipes, like pasta, stews or as below.

Homemade Sundried Tomato & Pine Nut Seitan Sausages

This seitan sausage recipe was adapted from Veggie on the Counter’s Homemade Seitan Sausage recipe. Please follow the link and check out Joana’s beautiful veggie blog!

Seitan Sausages w/ Soft Polenta & Pan Roasted Tomato Sauce

Preparation Time: 30 mins
Serves 4

• 2 -4 Seitan Sausages

Pan Roasted Tomato Sauce

• 1 tbs olive oil
  • 4 ripe tomatoes, cut into wedges
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
  • 1-2 tsp brown sugar or maple syrup
  • 2 tbs tomato paste

Soft Polenta

• 1 cup polenta (cornmeal)
  • 3 cups vegetable stock

to serve

• 250g (½ pound) baby spinach, washed

To make the tomato sauce heat the oil in a small heavy-based frypan, add the tomato wedges and garlic, pan roast over a medium heat for 3-5 minutes allowing tomatoes to soften.

Add the sugar or maple syrup and continue to pan roast, add the tomato paste, season to taste with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper and using a wooden spoon crush/mash the tomatoes to form a thick sauce, keep warm until ready to serve.

Fry the sausages in a little vegetable oil over a medium-high heat until golden, remove from the pan and slice into rounds.

To prepare the polenta bring the stock to a gentle simmer, add the cornmeal in a steady stream and whisk over a gentle heat for 15-20 minutes until soft and creamy. Serve immediately with fried sausages, topped with tomato sauce and a side of baby spinach leaves.

delicieux October 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Like you I dislike the vegetarian fake meats. I don’t eat or like meat so why would I want to eat something that looks or tastes like meat.

The sausages look interesting. I might have to try these. I’ve never tried seitan before but have seen it on lots of cooking shows and in recipe books. I have to say though, the polenta looks delicious!!!! You definitely have me craving some smooth and creamy polenta.

Joana October 15, 2010 at 2:20 pm

Hi Trudy! Your version of the recipe sounds really delicious… I love the chain of relations: I first adapted it from a veggie cookbook and now you come up with such an exciting version :) It really means a lot to me that you like the blog. Thank you! *

Trudy (veggie num num) October 15, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Hi delicieux!! I don’t think seitan is something we really seem to have in Australia & New Zealand, or is it??? I could be wrong but can’t remember having seen it anywhere, and until I made these I’d never tried it before either. The sausages are pretty simple to make and have a nice kind of chewy texture… perfect with creamy polenta :) :) :)

Hi Joana! Thanks so much for dropping in… it’s wonderful the way recipes can be passed along, adapting and changing with each new version :) I loved the simplicity of your recipe and how easy it was to make these tasty little sausages, without your inspiration I may never have finally taken the plunge into seitan making :) thanks for sharing!!

claire October 16, 2010 at 1:55 am

I also have never been a fan of faux meat but this sounds delicious! I love the flavor profile you went with…yum!

Oh, and polenta and a homemade tomato sauce makes it such a perfect meal, I am sure.

Karen October 17, 2010 at 1:53 am

O wow, this looks amazing! I love making seitan (especially italian ’sausage’) and this recipe is wonderful! Unfortunately I am currently investigating whether gluten is the culprit for my stomach issues. If it isn’t (which I desperately hope) than this recipe will be at the top of my list!

Xiaolu @ 6 Bittersweets October 18, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Ok so here’s the embarrassing thing. I bought like 5 lbs of vital wheat gluten almost a year ago and somehow never got around to using it for the veggie sausages and stuff I’d bought it for. But this, this looks like an amazing recipe to start with.

Trudy (veggie num num) October 18, 2010 at 5:32 pm

Thanks Claire, these really aren’t anything at all like a store brought faux meat, no icky “meat” flavouring here :)

Oh Karen, I hope gluten doesn’t turn out to be the culprit!! And that you get to try the sausages soon!! Thanks for dropping in!

Xiaolu, time to break out that bag of gluten :) the recipe is super simple and you can add whatever ingredients you like! Thanks so much for your comment :)

Rebecca Jean October 19, 2010 at 11:41 am

Yep, just as good as it looked in the Meatless Monday flickr group.

Why, oh why, have I never been on your blog before?!? It’s fabulicious! Your photos in the flickr group are always gorgeous and make me hungry.

In addition to the flickr group, I host Midnight Maniac Meatless Mondays. This would be a great post to link to the carnival. All your posts would be great additions. Hope you’ll come on over and link up!

♥ Rebecca Jean
Midnight Maniac

Caitlin October 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

I’ve always loved seitan, but for some reason it never occured to me that I could make my own. You are opening my eyes to thousands of possiblitilies here! First though, the hard part- finding gluten in the store here! I’m hoping I’ve simply been oblivious to it’s presence at the grocery store, and it will appear the next time i go shopping…

Maria @ Scandifoodie October 19, 2010 at 6:04 pm

I’ve wanted to make seitan for so long, and this sounds like a great recipe to try!

Heather @ Whisk Flip Stir October 19, 2010 at 6:09 pm

These look amazing. Your recipes and photos are always so delicious!

Noni October 19, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Saw your recipe on tastespotting and fell in love!

At first I was disheartened. Such delicious looking sausages, one of my favorite meats before I went veg. And then I scrolled down, and was ecstatic! Seiten sausages <3 <3 <3

I will definitely be trying these out. :)

Trudy (veggie num num) October 20, 2010 at 10:44 am

Hi Rebecca Jean, thanks so much for your lovely comment!! Just checked out your blog and its wonderful!! I’ll be over to join in the Meatless Monday carnival in the future :)

Hi Caitlin, I know what you mean, I too keep thinking of all the wonderful seitan dishes we can now create right in our very own kitchen. And don’t worry, I found Gluten Flour without a problem in our small rural supermarket, right there with the other flours and baking goods, sure you’ll find some too, thanks for your comment and have fun cooking up a seitan storm :)

Hi Maria, making the seitan really couldn’t be simpler and the possibilities are endless as far as added ingredients and flavours, hope you try it out soon :)

Thanks Heather :) :)

He-he Noni, glad to hear it!!! If you loved sausages, these little veggie ones should keep you very happy, my sometimes meat eating husband, Cam, loved them and so did I!! Enjoy :)

Julia October 22, 2010 at 9:05 am

THIS LOOKS AMAZING. Thank you for posting! Im going to make this recipe this weekend, but don’t know what to serve it with, any suggestions? I was thinking stuffed mushrooms? http://www.fourgreensteps.com/community/recipes/52/1008

Trudy (veggie num num) October 22, 2010 at 12:31 pm

Julia, stuffed mushies are always good! And they would go very nicely with the flavours here… have fun making these sausages :)

Emmy November 7, 2010 at 10:04 pm

These looking amazing. I’m going to have to try this recipe. You have a beautiful blog!

CareBearNJ January 26, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Hey, I made these snausages this week and I really liked them! I’d never made seitan before but it was so easy! I sliced one of the very large sausages and browned it in a little olive oil, then tossed it with some broccoli and pasta for dinner. The only change I’d make would be to add some fresh basil when it’s in season.

Oh, and some of the oil and tomato paste must have leeched into the stock I cooked the sausages in. That stock was freakin dynamite and made some much lauded carrot soup the next day!

Trudy ~ Veggie num num February 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Thanks so much Emmy and wow, you have some super scrumptious looking recipes over at your blog!! Hope you tried this recipe out :D

Cheers for the awesome feedback CareBearNJ!! It’s a wonderful thing to be able to make your own seitan and seems you’ve already adapted it to some fantastic recipes, yum!! Thanks again and so glad Veggie num num could inspire you to make your first batch of homemade seitan :)

Judy MacDonnell June 21, 2011 at 5:47 am

I wondered what seitan was until I studied a recipe — my family has been making and eating it for many years, under the name of “gluten steak”. However this recipe takes the whole scene to new heights. I can’t wait to try this recipe! Thanks for the inspiration.