Preparation time: 25-30mins
Serves 4 (as a main)
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 1 red chilli, diced (optional)
- 3 cups fresh breadcrumbs (3-4 slices of wholegrain bread roughly diced)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup pinenuts, roughly diced
- 3 tbs parsley, roughly chopped
- 125g (4.5 oz) feta cheese, crumbled (omit if vegan)
- 2 tbs lemon juice
Tahini Yogurt Sauce
- ¼ cup tahini paste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 cups plain natural set dairy or non-dairy yoghurt
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F
Set the mushrooms on a lightly greased baking tray; cup side up.
Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saucepan. Cook the onion over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes, add the garlic and chilli and cook for a further minute.
Add the pinenuts and continue to cook over a medium heat for another 3-4 minutes until they start to golden; add the breadcrumbs and toss through until well combined.
Remove from heat, add the parsley, feta, lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste; combing all ingredients well adding a little extra oil if the mixture is too dry.
Top each mushroom with 2 heaped tablespoons of stuffing. Drizzle with extra olive oil and place in pre-heated oven. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden.
Meanwhile to make the sauce whisk the tahini, lemon juice and olive oil together until smooth, gradually stir in the yoghurt and lemon zest, season with salt and pepper to taste; set aside.
Serve the mushrooms while still warm drizzled with the tahini sauce and garnished with a little fresh rosemary.
Great as a main meal with a crisp salad or steamed vegetables or an impressive appetizer for guests… om numnumnumnummmmm
Like mail? Have numnums posted to your inbox Subscribe to veggie.num.num by Email